Haghia Sophia was a place of worship that served various religions for centuries. When it was built in 537, it began as a Greek Eastern Orthodox basilica hosted by Constantinople Patriarchate. In 1453 it became a mosque, and until 1931 it remained that way and was closed. It was reopened as a museum in 1935. It was once the largest cathedral in the world, and once inspired by other camellia including the Blue Mosque for being an excellent example of Byzantine architecture.