Giuseppe Tartini was born in Piran on 8th April 1692. He visited the Koper college and then the Law Faculty of the Padova University. He sought sanctuary at Assisi, where he studied violin and the basics of composition at the local monastery.
In the year 1721, he was invited to play first violin and be concert master in the St. Anthony Cathedral in Padova. He was appointed without any audition, a fact confirming the great reputation he had already achieved as a virtuoso. In the year 1728, he founded a well-known violin school “La scuola delle nazioni”. The students began arriving there from all different European countries, and so he was eventually given the name “il maestro delle nazioni”.
In the year 1770, he died in Padova, where he is buried. He left a large opus: around 130 concertos, over 170 sonatas, etc. He mainly wrote for the violin. His most famous work is “The Devil’s Trill”.
On the occasion of the 200th anniversary of the birth of their great artist, the people of Piran wished to erect a monument. However, the work protracted somewhat, such that it was only in the year 1896 that the larger-than-life bronze statue of the “Maestro” was mounted on its pedestal. The monument is the work of the Venetian Antonio dal Zotto. With its well-thought-out positioning, it dominates the square and forms a unified entity with St. George Cathedral, which dominates the town.